Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pacquiao is new World Boxing Council Super Featherweight champion

By Ronron
March 16, 2008

Filipino boxing champion Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao is the new World Boxing Council (WBC) Super Featherweight (130-pound category) champion after he beat defending champion Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico in a 12-round bout held in the United States Saturday night (Sunday noon in Manila).

The 29-year-old Filipino champion won by split decision by judges Jerry Roth (115-112 in favor of Marquez), Duane Ford (115-112 in favor of Pacquaio), and Tom Miller (114-113 in favor of Pacquiao).

“I suffered two cuts in the eye. It was tough and I got bothered, I could no longer concentrate because I could not see his (Marquez) punches anymore. I just survived through the 12 rounds,” Pacquiao, a native of the southern Philippine city of General Santos, said in Filipino in a televised interview after his victory was announced.

Pacquiao said that even if Marquez also suffered a cut in the face, he felt it was not as terrible as the ones he sustained because it affected his lead sight. “I just punched every time I could sense he was near me,” he revealed how he managed to pull it off.

Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo personally called Pacquiao over the phone after the fight and congratulated him for his victory.

In a statement to the media, Arroyo said she joins “the Filipino people in savoring this sweet moment of sweet victory and national unity prompted by the courage, discipline and fighting heart of our boxing hero, Manny Pacquiao.”

“Manny Pacquiao has again brought immense glory to the Flag and Filipino people with his hard fought victory today. Once more, he has inspired us with his big fighting heart, his determination and grit,” Arroyo said.

The President called Pacquiao as “one of our nation’s heroes who can unite us even in times of divisiveness.”

“Like him, we, too, shall overcome the battles ahead, with courage and a steadfast faith in ourselves, our country and the Lord Almighty,” she said.

“An icon of the masses, Manny Pacquiao mirrors the champ within every Filipino, here and abroad,” she added.

Pacquiao, himself, appealed to his countrymen “to unite” at all times, and not only when he wins a fight in the ring.

“I really exercised hard for this fight because first and foremost, whatever problems our country is facing, I take them as my own too. So I strived hard and took it as an inspiration to win the fact that this could unite my countrymen,” he said in Filipino.

Pacquiao said that even if it was already difficult to sustain the fight on the ring due to his injuries near the eye, he did not entertain the thought of giving up so as not to frustrate his countrymen.

“Even if I was hurt already, I endured the pain because, as I said, this fight is not just for my family, or for myself, but also for the Filipino people. As I have said, I will put my life on the line for the honor of our country and if only to make my countrymen happy,” he said.

Pacquiao said he is now prepared to take his boxing career to a higher level, the 135-pound category, and opts not to entertain anymore a rematch with Marquez, a move the latter did not welcome./DMS

No comments: