Friday, February 15, 2008

Razon says he won’t defect from Arroyo

By Ronron
February 15, 2008

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Avelino Razon, Jr. said Friday that he will not defect from the Arroyo administration amidst the current calls for President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and other Cabinet members to resign due to the alleged irregularity in the government deal with ZTE Corporation for the National Broadband Network (NBN) project last year.

“Why should I defect? I will continue to serve and protect the duly constituted government, and I don’t intend to defect,” Razon said in an interview at Camp Crame, Quezon City yesterday morning.

Razon said he wants to find out who are those who want him to resign just so he would supposedly save his reputation because he said it might just be a trap to effect the downfall of the Arroyo government.

“In my view, I don’t see a reason for me to resign. There is no reason for me to quit my post. I am just serving my country. And I think I have no shortcomings before my countrymen,” he said.

In a statement, the Police Cavaliers Association, Inc. (PACI), chaired by Deputy Director General Emmanuel Carta, the PNP Directorial Staff chief, expressed support to Razon, and tagged as “totally uncalled for” the suggestions that Razon must resign.

The PACI is an organization of alumni of the Philippine Military Academy who are in the active police service.

“Especially now that the PNP is being dragged into a national controversy, we are pouring all our support to our PNP chief and look up to him to lead the organization,” PACI President Chief Supt. Romeo Hilomen said.

Like the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the PNP, said Razon, remains united and solid behind the Arroyo government.

But rebel soldiers, led by Army Brig. Gen. Danilo Lim, erstwhile commander of the Scout Rangers Regiment, continue to ask the people, including those in the active service, to denounce the Arroyo government.

In a hand-written statement dated February 14, 2008, Lim, Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, and 11 other officers who are all detained at Camp Crame for the November 29, 2007 incident at the Manila Peninsula Hotel said in Filipino: “It’s time to decide! It’s time to make a stand! It’s time to move! It’s time to choose a new leader for our country!”

The group said they join the people in supporting Rodolfo Lozada, Jr., who testified on the alleged irregularity in the NBN-ZTE deal./DMS

No comments: